April 11, 2008

Expat Travel MEME

My dear friend, Barbara from Family Counts is planning her big trip back to the States which is in about 6 months from now... She posted a cool MEME about expats and travel so I decided to give it a go since Alex and I will be visiting my native land in just ONE WEEK from now!
So here it goes......

5 Things that I need when I return to the USA: (There are literally about a million so I will list 10 instead of 5 to make it fair.) I won't mention family and friends because that is too totally obvious!

1. My ACUPUNTURIST and my CHIROPRACTOR!
2. The SUN/the OCEAN/WARMER WEATHER,in general
3. 24 Hour Fitness- My yoga and spinning classes!!
3. My TARGET fix/Whole Foods/Trader Joes... OH HECK- Ralphs or Von's will do, too!
4. Peet's soy latte
5. MEXICAN food- HELP!!!!!!!!!... Get me to the nearest taco shop!!
6. Cafe' Sevilla on Salsa night/Brasilian night
7. Rollerblading/walking on the Bay/Beach boardwalk.
8. LIFETIME movies on Channel 38/TV in English, so I don't really have to pay attention to what I'm watching!!
9. Going to all my old stomping grounds and seeing who's still around.
10. DISNEYLAND... the real one in Cali.!!!!!

Five things I don't need when I return to the U.S.

????????
1. SMOKERSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
2. CLOUDS, RAIN, COLD weather
3. Dog pooh and spit on the streets
4. $7 Starbucks lattes!!!
5. Euros--- Well, I really don't need them in the U.S. Hahahhaha!! But, thanks to the low dollar my euros will go FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I'm leaving these 5 things behind in France when I head to Cali.

5 comfort foods that give me that "back home" feel

1. REAL Mexican food- corn tortillas, refriend beans, and guacamole! Valentine's here we come!
2. Cheesecake from Cheesecake factory... not the ones I make with St. Moret Cheese!
3. Lemon bars
4. Thai food
5. Homemade tamales from the lady at the Hillcrest farmer's market.
6. A Peet's soy latte!!!!


5 foods that no longer give me that "back home" feel...

Not sure how to answer this one because I cook so much, and I cook everything I made back home...

5 things that I find in my country that money can't buy

1. The view of downtown San Diego from the the 5 freeway as you get to Kettner Dr. exit
2. Hanging out in Little Itlay/Peets with friends and talking about life.
3. Rollerblading on the bay/beach
4. Driving up the coast and seeing the beautiful coastline.
5. San Diego sunsets from the ferry landing on Coronado Island and enjoying the nighttime view of SD downtown and the reflections of light in the water.

Like Barbara, I won't tag anyone but I certainly invite anyone to participate!
Take care,
Leesa

3 comments:

The Lehners in France said...

Hi Leesa, I have a "you cheer me up award" over ar mine. Just right click and copy the award and add it to your tool bar. Have a great trip home. Debs

barbara said...

Hi Leesa,
I ALMOST challenged you on this on, but I thought " she must have zillions of things to do , so better not".

Thanks you for trying this !
Your's sounds very very hometown related... I can't really do that on myside as I don't feel comfortable in my hometown.Yes,it happens !

BUT I just LOVE discovering any other place in the USA, and feel darn good in most other places.

Thanks again for giving this meme a try.

Bises.

Justin said...

Oh jeepers I miss good Mexican food soooooo much! I made the mistake of actually getting some Mexican food in Germany this week. I was so excited when I saw the Mexican restaurant in the Frankfurt airport (yes I know why would anyone eat Mexican food made in Germany). But the meal was horrible and not very Mexican. The salsa was too hot (since apparently they believe if it is not hot it is not Mexican) and the enchiladas lacked sustenance. I was so disappointed, so next time I head back to the US I need to run straight to a Mexican restaurant to make up for it.