May 28, 2008

Looking on Craig's List PARIS...

So, as I was browsing Craig's List for possible summer jobs and to help look for an au pair for one of my parents here locally, I come across this ad... Is it JUST me, or do ya'll see something dreadfully wrong with earning $50 per week spending money?? Granted room and board are covered, but it not like living in the city of Chicago... It's living in the STICKS!!! For one year!! What the hay??? Does this not seem wrong??? That's like saying about 35 euros a week...!!!!!!! YIKKKEESSS... What says YOU??
Here's the ad I saw....
American couple looking for French female to help take care of delightful elderly mother (wife's mother). Job includes helping her dress, make meals, housekeeping, drive her to activities and be her companion when necessary. Beginning English is OK. Wife is a fashion designer and speaks Fluent French (lived in Paris 15 years) so can help au pair to become fluent in American English. She travels frequently to New York and Paris for business. Husband is employed in finance.

We live in the country, on a farm in Iowa (state next to Illinois, we are 5 hours west of Chicago) and would prefer someone who likes both the country and city life. We travel alot around the states with 'grandma' and au pair would come with us.

Requirements: Knowledge of cooking, driving a car, and warm caring person.

1 year commitment minimum, all expenses paid including airplane ticket to states, plus $50. week spending money. 1 full day off per week plus lots of hours the other days (elderly take alot of naps and do not need as much attention as children)

Please send as much information about yourself (with photo if possible). I will be in Paris from May 8-17 for interviews.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they truly propose to pay only room and board, this is illegal any where in the States. I know some one who does this sort of elder~care @about $20 per hour, or $200 per ten hour day. [She has practical nurse certification, car license and the insurance to go with it, and years experience.] It would be dreadful to expect some one just out of high school, in a strange land, to handle medical emergencies. (Even knowing how to describe the situation to 9-1-1)
Richard (SAN)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Leese -- it's Malanga in S.D. Job sounds horrible because employee is basically signing her freedom away for one year. It's more like an indentured servant really. But -- if someone wanted to escape France and restart in the US, then there is an opportunity here. But 50 bucks won't even fill up the tank today!
Hey, going to LA tomorrow - I could use that $50. Maybe I'll take the job. But my French is, well, non bon. Passez moi le sel et le poivre. Je cerce La petit maison dans la prairie et Madame est servie et Ma sorciere bien amie. How's my spelling? Well, I must say goodbye with a sortie!

Brno girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
barbara said...

OMG...
That is not right.
I'am well placed to know what it takes to take care of an elder on a daily basis.As you know Leesa, this is what I live.Though my FIL is not in a wheelchair or has no other special needs than his meds, and his cane.

Even if this senior lady is "charming", they can apparently afford to pay for someone decent, but prefer to underpay an au pair. :(

Leesa said...

Gary/Barbara- that's exactly what I was thinking! It's even an insult to ask someone to live in the sticks to take care of an elderly women... and to be paid on 50 smacks a week!! YEESH! It's disgusting, really!! I think they are exploiting someone, at that point! I realize that "all expenses" will be paid, too.. But what kind of expenses could an au pair possible ring up living in the middle of nowhere?!! Is there a Target nearby??! Also, if you travel with a family you are working for.. then OF COURSE the expensives will be paid for... you are working at a job!! I don't know about this.. Maybe it should be reported.. They are OBVIOUSLY looking for someone who will work "under the table" because who can get a work visa for a year in the US that easily!! Hmmmmmmm..... Poor French au pair... Maybe we should all write to the woman who placed the ad and say we think it should be at lest $250/300 a week with everything else mentioned...

Jennie said...

Wow. I hope no one applies! That is so ridiculous.

Soulamouse said...

I don't see the link, I am all for writing to this woman. Having been exploited two last summer months, I now know that it is not worth it.

Leesa said...

Linda, I don't see the link anymore... Maybe someone reported it! Maybe someone read my blog post and reported it!! I hope! Hmmmmmm... oh well.. I hope they learned something from this.. I think the comment from Richard was pretty much to the mark... Take care, Leesa